<$BlogRSDURL$>

Observations on the world today.

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

My Pledge 

 
Most of us by now know the history of the Pledge to the flag, so we know that it is not presently read in its original form. Some older folks who learned the pledge by rote may have the old versions of it still ingrained in their psyches.

Personally, I have never understood the value of pledging allegiance to a symbol. So I don't. When everyone around me is intoning their oaths to old Glory, I can be heard (if you have a real good ear and are so inclined) reciting my own promise of fidelity.

But today, that vow was tweaked. I was "blogging" on the hour three thread at Majority Report and posted my version of the pledge:
I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America, and to the republic which it established, one nation, lead by humans, with the ideal of liberty and justice for all.
...and a fellow blogger enjoyed what he read, adopted it for his own and tweaked it. I like his version better than my own, so from now on, this is my pledge:
I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America, and to the republic which it creates, one nation, the people sovereign, seeking liberty and justice for all.
Doesn't that rock?

Permalink

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?