<$BlogRSDURL$>

Observations on the world today.

Monday, September 20, 2004

 
Flyer Power 

It is 3:30 in the morning. I just got back in from hanging this flyer all over town:



I especially wanted to put the flyer around the high school. I wanted the kids to see it on their way into school on Monday morning. That's why I waited until after 2:00 AM on Monday to put them up. This way, there would be less chance that they would be torn down before the kids got there.

It's a chilly fall like night here, so I put on my dark hoodie. I'm sure I looked like a cloak & dagger nutcase to the local cop who saw me twice. The first time, he drove past just as I was coming out of the school parking lot. "Is everything all right?" he asked.

"Yeah, just hanging some flyers," says I. Luckily, in America, that's not considered subversive behavior just yet. But even if it were, I'd still have done it. It gave me a feeling of accomplishment and patriotism. It made me feel young again. But at the same time, it made me feel guilty that I'm not actually young anymore, because I won't personally be subject to this draft, and - due to asthma - neither will my son. But his friends will. And the sons and daughters of my friends and neighbors will too. And if this little thing that I did spurs any debate at all, then I will have accomplished something tonight.

Come on kids, don't let me down.

Permalink

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?