<$BlogRSDURL$>

Observations on the world today.

Saturday, October 02, 2004

 
Clever Timing or Just a Burdensome Backlog? 

I just got home from work. While I was gone yesterday, I received a long-awaited recognition of my FOIA request. It reads as follows:
Dear Mr. XXXX

This is to acknowledge receipt of your August 27, 2004, Freedom of Information Act request for a copy of Lt George W. Bush DD Form 258, DD Form 256 and Undeleted Separation Document.

Every effort will be made to respond in twenty business days. If we should need additional time, you will be notified in writing.

Please direct your questions to Brian xxxxx (703) 696-xxxx and reference case #04-xxxx.
The letter is dated September 22, which means it was written nine days ago. The post-mark is September 27, five days later. Twenty business days from Sept. 22 is October 21, accounting for Columbus Day. Unless there are legal holidays in October that I am not taking into account. If they wait another five days to send it, that will put in the mail on October 26. Of course I asked for electronic copies, but who says they won't mail those? This response was mailed on a Monday, and I received it on Friday. If they mail it on the 26th, that will be a Tuesday. I should then receive it on the following Saturday, which will be October 30th. The earliest I could hope to get media attention, if it proves lucrative, is Monday, November 1, the day before election day.

Permalink

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?