<$BlogRSDURL$>

Observations on the world today.

Monday, March 28, 2005

Happy Dinghus Day 

While traveling several years ago, I found myself in Southbend, Indiana on the day after Easter. Apparently, in large Polish communities in the US, the day following lent is called Dinghus Day, and it is celebrated by the large scale consumption of Polish Sausages and hard-boiled eggs. This, too me, makes more sense than celebrating the day BEFORE lent, which is the rationale behind Carnival and Mardi Gras. However, eating gas inducing poulry and hog by-products is not exactly my idea of a celebration.

Still, it beats the shit out of the preceding 40 day run up to the most depressing of high holidays on the Gregorian calendar. Have an egg on me.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?